Tuesday, September 25, 2018

You’re Invited!

My friend Susan has a Silouette machine & offered to help me out with the wedding. I didn’t know what it was or what could be done using it. She told me it cuts vinyl. Hmm, OK. Research time! I spent hours on the internet learning all about these machines and, wow!, they are so cool! There are so many ways I could use one: invitations, signs, decor, that I decided I just need to get one myself. It would pay for itself just using it for the invitations (because naturally the ones I want are really expensive).


After much research, I’ve decided to get both the Cricut Explore Air 2 and a Cricut Cuttlebug. Between the two I can do fancy cutting, drawing, gold foiling, and embossing. Now I’m saving up the money & waiting for a good sale. 
I’ve fallen in love with the “laser cut” type of invitation.
 
Aren’t they gorgeous? I want to go with the folder type that has a pocket in which you can put all the extra stuff (RSVP card & envelope, directions, accommodation info, etc.). The actual invitation goes on the inside flap; for that I’m leaning toward using letterpress text and gold foil accents

I can use the Explore Air 2 to cut the folder design & add the gold foil, and the Cuttlebug to do the letterpress printing. I may end up using the Cuttlebug for the gold foil too. There are a couple of ways to accomplish it. The plan is to try both & see what looks best.  

There are 3 different scenarios I’ve developed, in terms of colors, etc., and I mocked up some pictures so I could get an idea of how they would look.

The 1st has navy shimmer “laser cut” covers, while the printed portions are on cream cardstock w/ a modern navy watercolor & gold foil design, and a shimmer champagne backer. The signage would be on glass or plexi with gold lettering on the front and navy paint on the back. I’d use a gold pen on slices of blue agate for the placecards. 

The 2nd scenario uses metallic gold for the covers, with a leaf design in gold foil on matte navy for the cards, and glitter gold backers. Lots gold in this one, it’ s the most “glam” alternative. Signs would be navy with gold lettering and the placecards would be gold flowers with blue pearl centers and a navy/gold card.
 

Scenario 3 is more elegant and utilizes champagne shimmer covers with matte ivory cards that have an embossed design, navy print, and tiny pearl accents with a navy shimmer backer. The signs would be navy shimmer backing with a champagne shimmer cut design center, navy print, and pearl accents on the frames. The placecards would be oyster shells, edged in gold, with a large pearl accent and the names written in gold. This set uses pearls for accents in many places.
What do you think? Leave me a comment! 

I’m going to show my fiancé to see what he likes and we’ll make a decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stars for the 4th of July

I decided to go with a theme of stars and to make my first shaker cards for the 4th. I found the small star shaker dies and the Paper Rose S...